Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Life and Times of Syaxamaphone
Yeah, I'm actually pretty shy in real life.... believe it or not... ._.

So yeah I know the feeling
[Image: xficj1xaao94rzlfg.jpg?size_id=3]
Reply }
Thanks given by:
We're all shy in real llife. That's why we're here.

I talk to myself all the time too. Not to hash out ideas but to prepare myself for conversations I don't want to have. When I used to work at the restaurant with other people though, I used to talk to a few people in particular to bounce ideas off of them for comics and videos. Mot of these things never actually got made, but I came up with a lot of good ideas and a lot of them came from other people. Make some friends syx.
[Image: PFz1Ign.png]
[Image: puf4wvh.png]
Reply }
Thanks given by:
A man who isn't shy in his twenties will be a bore in his fourties.
~Discount Jontron~
Reply }
Thanks given by:
That is the worst saying. Where are you getting these?
Reply }
Thanks given by:
sax tell me what kind of women you are into

koreans, melanesians, besides moe?

also im not shy ;d
[Image: 2ibgpoz.gif]
Reply }
Thanks given by:
(02-12-2013, 06:31 AM)Belial Wrote: We're all shy in real llife. That's why we're here.

I talk to myself all the time too. Not to hash out ideas but to prepare myself for conversations I don't want to have.

Good to know I'm not the only one who does this. Though the convos usually stay in my head.
Reply }
Thanks given by:
(02-12-2013, 12:39 PM)Syaxamaphone Wrote: That is the worst saying. Where are you getting these?

A psychiatrist told me that one.
~Discount Jontron~
Reply }
Thanks given by:
I haven't done one of these in a while

Syx on video games

I like video games. I've been playing them for as long as I can remember. I didn't just suddenly stop by a friend's house and discover Mario. I've known Mario as long as I've known my own parents. I've been rescuing Peach since before my first day of school. I was jumping on turtles before my mind can comprehend my existence.

To say I like video games is a bit of an understatement. My entire life so far has revolved around them. The story as I've been told is my dad bought an NES before I was born and used it to keep me distracted when I was about 2. I used to watch him beat SMB3 (the only game he could beat except for maybe LoZ). Most of my childhood memories is of video games. Super Mario Bros, Duck Hunt, The Legend of Zelda, StarTropics, Batman ect. I guess you can say I love video games.

My first console was of course the NES. I grew up with Nintendo, moving on to SNES and Game Boy and N64 and to GCN. I was the only kid with the Nintendo consoles, all my friends had Playstation (nobody likes Sega lol). Of course I eventually broadened my horizons and now I am who I am today.

Some of my favorite games include StarTropics, Cave Story, Pokémon Red/Blue, Sim City and Yoshi's Island.

Something I thought about for a good while is why I like the games I do. Is it because of the time period? the genre? the developer? The games I've listed don't fit cleanly into any of these catagories. Why do I love Cave Story, an indie metroidvania as much as Pokémon Red/Blue, a portable JRPG? Why do I love Paper Mario as much as I love Sim City? Why is StarTropics, an unforgiving action game on the same level as the adorable platformer Yoshi's Island in my mind?

Why don't I like Paper Mario TTYD or Skyward Sword? (both great games or so I have been told)

Jumping back to my childhood stories for a second, I didn't just play video games, I also always wanted to make them. As early as I can remember I would draw out levels and enemy ideas for my favorite games. The number of SMB3-inspired areas decorating the bottoms of my notebook pages could add up to an entire second SMB trilogy I'm sure. I've always had a fascination with the creation process. I loved to build things. When I first got into Game Maker when I was 12 I was ecstatic watching a video game I created with my own hands play out on the screen.

As a content creator, I put a lot of time and effort into the things I make. It may not look like it, but VQ2 was a labour of love that took me almost a year to finish. Though not all of my projects have been of the same scope, I've almost always poured all my creativity and heart into my creations. (more on this later)

Anywho, when playing some of the games I love, it dawned on me that it wasn't the actual Quality of the game that got me, but the little details included in the package. It was like I could feel the heart and soul the creators had poured into their projects as I was playing through it.

For example, Pokémon Red/Blue are by no means the best games in the Pokémon franchise. They are clunky, unbalanced and like most GB games, kind of unpleasant to look at. But regardless they invoke a feeling that no other pokemon game (even FR/LG which are essentially the same game) could match. Pokémon Red and Blue were a labour of love, a project Game Freak was passionate about. And it showed.

Cave Story was the Opus of an indie developer, StarTropics was a really no more than a Japanese developer's love for American culture. Paper Mario was a shot at something new. Yoshi's Island was about how you didn't need the highest resolution 3D graphics to make a great game.

A lot of games today I play are fun and engaging experiences (3D Land was a blast) but they don't envoke that feeling. Assassin's Creed X just feels like it is going through the motions and I won't even start on every Mario game since 2006.

--

Now I'm kind of rambling on at this point but the point is, I really like video games. I like to play them and I like to make them. I am also glad that I took the time to get to know them.
Reply }
Thanks given by:
The Unending Insight of SYX.
[Image: Pm2mg1m.png]
Reply }
Thanks given by:
Syx makin them games
Reply }
Thanks given by: